In the 19th century it was originally a well-known hotel 'Rome', built in 1878. During the war the elegant building of 'Rome' was destroyed and in 1956 a completely new, grand, six-story hotel building was constructed. It was named after the capital 'RIGA' as it had to become a hospitality symbol of the city. The hotel enjoys a good location in the heart of Riga's old town, close to the National Opera and the freedom monument. The airport is a 20 min drive away, and there are many good transport links within walking distance of the hotel.